1. Think about a famous story. How would that story be different is you set it in:
a…the distant future
b. …the distant past
c. …the current time.
2. What is the time period you chose for your work in progress? Why did you choose it? It is possible that there is a better a time period that would work?
3. What is the setting you chose for your work in progress? Why did you choose it? It is possible that there is a better a time period that would work?
4. Imagine that you have just stumbled through a portal into a fantasy world. You whip out your notebook and want to record everything you see. Write down all the details you can think about, what the scenery looks like, what the people and animals look like, what the weather looks like etc.
5. Imagine that you’ve just been dropped of by a time machine into the distant future to go have dinner with an important person. During the dinner you are taking note off all the things that have changed over the years and what has stayed the same. What are the people wearing? What do they eat? How do they eat it? How do they speak? Etc.
6. Choose your time and place and explain why you chose it.